Visualization and guided imagery are key training techniques for athletes. The practice is generally to visualize the goal of the perfect performance feeling the feelings of gratitude and joy about the goal as if the goal was a present reality – to feel the reality of this good experience now.
These feelings improve your life and inform your training and every action and interaction between now and when the goal is reached. In some sense the goal has already been reached spiritually and you can enjoy it from now until it shows up by visualizing it, feeling the feelings, and thinking “it is already on the way.”
This is a way to use your growing attention and awareness to focus the mind on positive goals and situations for you. Replace the …… with the thing, situation, job, activity or goal you have chosen and rewrite as necessary.
Exercise: Guided imagery for focusing on the ideal ………:
- Find a comfortable place to sit. Close your eyes and get comfortable. Breathe in deeply and then exhale releasing tension and worry. Do this 3 times.
- Now imagine you are walking into the place of your ideal …….. What does the building look like? Can you see it in your mind? What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Now you are inside the building and moving toward your ……… Are you taking the elevator or the stairs? Say hello to people as you pass and allow them to greet you. What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Now you are sitting at your ……… Is it clean? Messy? What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Now walk down the hall to the ……… area. See yourself talking with others. What do they look like? How do they treat each other? What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Add other steps depending on the situation that you are focusing on for yourself. What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Now see yourself leaving for the day and the return. Is it a long way? A short commute? What does this feel like? Where do you feel this in your body?
- Take your time and return your attention to your breath.
- Take a few moments to feel feelings of love and gratitude for what you have been given. Feel the possession of this …….. as if it is yours now. Feel the gratitude for this. This gratitude will move from wherever you feel it to all parts of the body to become a memory held in the body influencing all that you are and all that you do.
10. Take 3 deep, slow breaths in and out and when you are ready come back to the room and open your eyes.
If you can do this on a regular basis, it will help increase your motivation and improve your positive interactions on the way to your new……… which you can already feel is waiting for you. Gratitude is a powerful antidote for many problems and this is a process of feeling gratitude now for things which will come in the future.